Saturday, April 30, 2011

Hungry Yet?

So, apparently there's quite a few Raw bloggers out there. I subscribe to a few but it usually all runs together. The internet's all grown up now. Seems like only yesterday I was looking at green text with a Dos operating system. My, how time flies. Food's all grown up too. Not too long ago, organic was organic and you could trust the farmers. Well, those days are close to over. Planting seeds, of all kind, has become quite a hot-button issue.
It's not really my place to constantly criticize the commercial agriculture machine. I'm a big boy and I understand that everyone's out to make a buck, well not everyone, but most people. If conspiracy theorists are right about all this doom and gloom, will you know how to get food when the shit goes down? If ATMs aren't functioning and all the food is rotting in supermarkets, do you have a plan? I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a clue. When I was on a plane last month and mid-flight they "ran out of food," I was the only one on board with an avocado and a tomato. Guess who ate guacamole while children behind me cried? I wish I'd had 300 avocados and 300 tomatoes. It was pretty grim to say the least. We're the only culture that grows food, locks it up, and then makes ourselves work to buy it back from ourselves. Daniel Quinn clearly pointed this out but why don't more people question this hypocrisy? It's as if we've given up. Just imagine for a second that all resources were shared. Totalitarian agriculture works for Monsanto and no one else. Tom Vilsack is a chicken hawk and people are beginning to see that. Special interests and revolving doors in D.C. are literally making us sick to our stomachs.
I've been searching for something lately. I'm hungry in a way that I cannot even begin to describe. Hungry for the truth. The raw truth, however unsettling it may be, is out there. It's also inside. All I ever really wanted from this blog was to publicly acknowledge all the bullshit that goes on in my head. If people get something out of it, great. If you write this off as mental fodder, great. It's not about me all the time, it's really about you. There are thinkers, and then there are doers. What are we going to do about it? When are we going to realize that the Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth? Don't give up, no matter what. As a great band once said, choose your Heaven or be content to live in Hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment